Woohoo! Got some finished socks!
I finished these last night, and then grafted the toes this evening. I used the tutorial on www.knittinghelp.com to do the Kitchener stitch. I think I've finally got it!
There are several mistakes in these socks, but I like them and I'm so proud that I knitted them myself. I only mention it because they were an educational experience, and I know several things I want to do differently on my next pair of socks.
For instance, I'd like them to be a little larger, as in more stretchy. You can see that they're a bit snug. They fit fine, but I would prefer they not look so stretched out. I think using a size larger needles would have done the trick. I would also have continued the stitch pattern down the top of the foot if I had thought of it. These are knit exactly following the pattern. I'm also going to work the toe decreases differently next time - these socks are more tapered than my foot's true anatomical shape, so they are kind-of pointy. But, they are great socks and I think I did a pretty nice job with them!